Monday, September 5, 2011

The Ultimate Meatless Monday



Why hello there readers!

No, I didn't forget about you and no I did not drop off the face of the earth. I simply have been ever so consumed in my own life and travels that I have found it hard to find time to write something fantastical on this blog.

Anyway, I have just returned from a wonderful trip to Vermont with my Girl Scout Troop 3450. And as many of you know, Vermont is one of those places where everyone is really into knowing where your food comes from. And what do we call people who are interested in this matter?

LOCAVORES


Please note the word play of the words "local" and "vore" which I'm guessing is a suffix for eating or something (this is the real deal, people. I didn't just make this up)

So as part of our little trip to the green mountains, we decided that one night we would put all our heads together to come up with a meal that consisted of only local fare (whether it be from Vermont or Massachusetts, it was still considered local).

You may be asking "...umm what does this have to do with Meatless Mondays?". The answer, my friends, is that it has anything and everything to do with Meatless Monday! This is because eating locally may disable you from eating meat, because in some regions and parts of the world meat travels far and wide to reach your table. In addition, we decided to make our meal meatless as well.

So here's what we made!


Top Left: Potato gratin with Shelburne Farms cheddar cheese
Top Right: Vegetable Soup with carrots, beans, potatoes and corn
Bottom Right: Apple, carrot, cucumber and kholrabi cole slaw
Bottom Left: Bruschetta with mozerella, tomatoes and eggplant
Top Middle: Corn with tomatoes, basil and goat cheese
Bottom Middle (the green stuff): Fried okra


Let me tell you, this whole thing was a lot harder to do than I originally thought. By eating local we were totally handicapped in that we couldn't eat pasta or rice. So this was almost entirely plant based (almost vegan!).

So here's a big round of applause to all of my girls from Troop 3450 for working together and making such a fabluous meal!

Also, sorry I can't give you any recipes. This was all done kinda spur of the moment.

Oh and one more thing:


EAT REAL
and
EAT LOCAL

Happy Eating!

Leda :)

1 comment: